Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ben Jonson

New cartoon (from the Prospect website):


[Click image to enlarge]

This joke is stolen from the brilliant brain of my marvellous wife Hannah, who observed a couple of years ago when we were at the Globe Theatre that Shakespeare would have been well annoyed to be at that theatre as it is today, ie with all these bald pictures of him about the place.

I've been trying to make a cartoon out of this ever since, and recently found out that, not only are the only definite pictures we have of him are when he was really bald, but also most of them derive from the engraving at the front of the First Folio - which his arch rival Ben Jonson took pains to describe in his preface as being his true likeness.

So I reckon that this may actually be a true story.

4 comments:

Patricia said...

Clever as always :) It's even better knowing that it might be true.

Stephen Collins said...

Thank you! It most certainly deffers is. I reckon.

Anne said...

hilarious!

Stevo said...

Always a treat when you post up a strip, and this made me giggle very happily to myself! Nicely done, sir!